Friday, October 15, 2010

When Did You Choose To Be Straight?

Here is a video that was posted on YouTube that I became aware of through a friend (former supervisor).

The video is on-street interviews asking the fundamental question of random people the interviewer meets on the street, "when did you choose to be straight?"

I think that's a great come-back for those small-minded people (especially the religious wrong) who run around saying that "being gay is a choice" or "the gay 'lifestyle' is a bad choice" ... and so on.

Let me be clear:  I am gay.  I did not choose to be gay.  I was born that way.  I didn't know I was interested in having a man for my lifemate until I was much older.  I went through the usual motions of dating girls and such through high school and college, and realized that I was being deceitful.  It was unfair to the women who I dated that I really wasn't interested in more than conversation and enjoying activities together like a movie, a hike, or going out with friends to dinner.

So next time someone mouths-off about "being gay is a choice," simply ask them, as this interviewer did, "when did you choose to be straight?"  ... see what they say.  They may come to a realization of their own, from a perspective from which they had not thought before.



Update: This post was edited to remove political content. This is not a political blog. A comment was provided that was political in nature. That's why I edited this post, to remove my own political commentary such that the comment is no longer pertinent to this post (and therefore was not approved for posting). If you wish to comment on politics, please visit another blog.

No comments: