Sunday, July 10, 2011

Going Mobile?

I have noticed that over 20% of the visitors to my website are coming from mobile phones, or smartphones. Wow, that's a dramatic increase in recent months, but not surprising.

While I personally don't want one of those expensive gadgets, I realize that if I am going to run a functioning website that works on all platforms, including mobile browsers, then I should try to make modifications that make the website more "mobile-friendly."

Therefore, I have been playing around and have created a mobile-friendly home page, which is available at bootedman.net -- note, that is ".net", not ".com." The ".net" version is, or should be, mobile friendly. The .com version remains the website as you've always known it.

If you have a smart phone, try this for me:

1. Visit the regular website, bootedman.com and tell me if you are automatically redirected to the mobile-friendly version of the website (as shown on this post) or if you get some error message about "too many redirects."

2. Visit the mobile version directly at bootedman.net and let me know if it works for you (or not). (Note, regular laptops and desktops can view this site and see what it looks like.)

Please correspond with me directly if you know my email address, or use this form to send me a message.

Either way, I want to hear from you, because I want to know if it is working (or not), and have no way to test it myself since neither my partner nor I have a smartphone and do not plan to get one.

Thanks!

Life is short: embrace technology, even if you don't have the technology to embrace (giggle).

No comments: