Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Brothers?

I received an email the other day from a frequent reader of this blog. He was confused. He read the post about my twin brother retiring, then another post about me going to "a brother's" for a crab feast.

How many brothers do you have?" was the inquiry. "I'm confused."

Sorry for any confusion. Regular readers of this blog have read occasional postings that I have written about my family. I am blessed, truly blessed, with seven brothers. I am also very blessed to have seven sisters. All from the same Mom and Dad. Yep, our Mom was "fertile"!

So when I write about doing this with a brother or that with a sister, or celebrating birthdays of nieces, nephews, and "the greats," I am fortunate to have many family members to do things with. I am exceptionally pleased that we all remain close. Granted, I may not be that close with some of my brothers- or sisters-in-law, but that's okay -- blood keeps the siblings close, regardless of a few rare disagreements brought on by some in-laws.

What's it like to be the only gay dude in a large family? Read this past blog post for details.

The most frequent question that I have received is, "in such a large family, are you the only one who is gay?" In our case, the answer is yes. I know that's against the regular law of averages, but so be it.

It's great having such a large family. We all are different, do different things, have different lives, work at different jobs. But together, we compose a close and loving family. That's what it's all about.

Life is short: show those you love that you love them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And I am especially proud to be your brother, your best friend through life, your partner-in-crime (in younger days!), but most of all, your twin. What we don't share in physical appearance is well made up for with love, respect, and admiration.

Love you always, ore e sempre,

J