Sunday, March 20, 2011

Headed West

Alas, the City By The Bay is indicated on my airline ticket, and my boots are carrying me to a place in which I have spent many, many years learning and refining my professional craft, and making a number of friends while I was at it.

Yeah, "back in the day," I spent five years doing some tremendously creative work with some exceptionally smart people in an office based in this town (though I served seven counties surrounding the area). Most of the people I worked with 20 years ago have moved on, retired, or changed jobs, except for a few who I will see while I'm out here. The work that we, as a team, inspired is continuing. Part of what brings me back is measuring that work and how it has been ingrained in the culture since we started it 20 years ago.

Sure, while I'm there, I will take some time to visit personal friends. My buddy, Mike, the Owner of Stompers Boots, will pick me up from the airport today, and we'll hang out for the afternoon and catch up. Monday morning, I am having breakfast with one of the world's most eminent and talented professionals in my field. Then I'll do some field work, and at the end of the day, will relax over dinner with several of my friends from BOL, including Larry, his husband Bill, and several others. I look forward to seeing them again.

My travels for the remainder of the week have me on the move significantly up and down the California Coast, so I'll be busy. Lots of meetings, giving a speech, doing an all-day training, some more site visits, and other stuff will confirm that my work is what brought me there.

I very much look forward to a highly productive week, filled with work and friends and fondly remembering past activities and making new memories, too.

Life is short: love what you do. I think it was Confucius who said, "choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." Oh, so right.

No comments: