Saturday, June 11, 2011

Lug Soles for Frye Boots

Someone in my family gave me a pair of 14" black Frye campus boots a couple weeks ago. He said that he had ordered them, and then didn't like them once he wore them a couple times. He said that they weren't like the Frye Boots that he remembered back in college (in the '70s).

Yep. New Frye Boots, even though they are made in the USA, do not have the same characteristics (quality, heel height, sole composition) as their Vintage cousins. That's because they are not made by the same company any more. The name is now owned by Li & Fong, one of the largest shoe retailers in China.

Anyway, my cousin who didn't know any better thought that I could wear them while riding my Harley. He did not realize that a smooth leather sole would not be suitable for that.

However, not to look a gift horse in the mouth, I brought them to a cobbler and had Vibram 100 lug soles added to them. They look good -- better than I thought -- and are NOW suitable for use while riding the Harley.

Sorry for the quick pic -- I really haven't had time to take a decent set of pictures of them for my website. This pic was taken in my office on the day I picked them up from the cobbler.

Life is short: adapt!

1 comment:

The Dutchman said...

Lug soled Frye Boots, how cool is that! I wore Fryes all through high school because I thought they made me look like Clint Eastwood, but then I switched to Corcoran combats in college when I "went punk." Now it's Red Wings.