Saturday, January 23, 2010

Booted for Work

Today I will be getting down to business in renovating that house I bought a couple weeks ago. It seems that the more I get into it, the more I find that requires repairs. Windows were replaced by a crew on Thursday, and they did a nice job... except the moldings around the frame on the inside of all of the windows crumbled or broke.

My mitre saw and I will be busy today crafting custom-made frames and moldings for 14 windows. I am using oak, rather than pine. Oak is a hardwood, and will be more sturdy. I will custom-cut each piece to replace each frame and molding, and my nailgun will make short order of attaching the pieces to form the frame and moldings around the frame. My partner, the painter of our duo, will paint the newly-installed wood after I install them.

I figure this process will take all day. While I am there with the saw, I will do some more carpentry work, too. Darn it, though, I don't have power in the house (yet), as I have to do some rewiring in advance of having the furnace replaced with one that will accommodate central air conditioning. That doesn't happen until next week. Meanwhile, I will use my generator to supply the power required to run the saw.

How am I booted? I got myself a pair of 8" Timberland Pro Work Boots that I snatched up from Boot Barn by finding a huge discount certificate on-line. The boots are very comfortable, so I understand why all the boot guys rave about them.

So today as you enjoy whatever you're doing, think of me, in blue jeans and work boots, doing carpentry and home renovations. Wanna help?

Life is short: get booted right for the job!

No comments: