Friday, January 8, 2010

Men Wear Boots, The End of the Story

I blogged on Wednesday about a pair of boots that mysteriously showed up on my doorstep. I called it an Act of Kindness. I was baffled about who sent me the Justin Bent Rail Buckaroo Boots.

I appealed on my blog for the person who gave me the boots to reveal himself.

... turns out, it was not a reader of this blog, but a gentlemen who I had befriended. F, a dear friend who once owned and operated a western store in Oklahoma, but moved "back East" to be closer to his family, was my thoughtful gift-giver.

Dear F was invited, but did not attend, our annual Thanksgiving open house and pot-luck dinner this past November. I really wanted him to come, but he was not feeling well, and said that he couldn't get out. I brought him "a plate" of goodies from the Thanksgiving feast on the Friday after the event, and he couldn't have been happier. But he said that he still wasn't feeling well, and was not sure he could eat much. I also brought him a small snip of mistletoe, which he so fondly remembered from his days in Oklahoma. He had me hang it in a door frame for him.

Last year, he was the hit of the party when he walked in our door and gave me a pair of boots along with his happy greeting, "Men Wear Boots!" I was shocked, tearful, and so happy. What a great man. So thoughtful. So caring. So kind.

I went to visit him for a short time in early December, just to say "hello" and share some time. You see, his family who lives nearby did not visit very often. I was sad that he was so lonely, and wanted to see more of his family which was the reason he moved here in the first place. While I often did handyman work for him, this time he didn't need anything done. He just wanted company. Often, I'll "invent" a handyman reason to drop by a senior pal's home, when I know what they really need is some attention. (Though a leaky faucet or broken switch can stand being repaired!)

He was perky and funny and we had a great time visiting. But he didn't look well. He was drawn, weak, and pale. It was obvious that the winter of his life had set in. We had a longer-than usual conversation. He didn't want to talk about himself, but he wanted me to know that his family was closer now, and visiting more often. He showed me pictures of his grandchildren and the newest addition to his family, a baby great granddaughter. He said that he would have his daughter and grandchildren stand in the door frame under the mistletoe, and he would kiss them. He was so happy. I would say he was serene. What a joy. (I tell 'ya, though, I was emotional and tearful, but in a good way -- to see my friend so happy.)

I continued to check in with him by phone. We usually talked about boots but also we talked about a lot of other things. I realized that during one of our conversations, I had mentioned the new line of Justin Buckaroo boots. He said that he was not familiar with the boots, since he got out of the business years ago. But man, it was obvious that he listened and remembered well.

I called him for a usual "checkup" call on Monday. No answer. I thought perhaps he was busy or not at home, so I tried back on Tuesday. I wanted to tell him about the boots that mysteriously showed up! I thought he would enjoy knowing that I got them. When Tuesday's call wasn't answered either, I became concerned. I called a few of his neighbors, who said that they had not seen him.

On Wednesday, I knocked on his door. No answer. I left a note. Yesterday, his daughter called me. I was saddened to learn that my friend died last week. I didn't know. She told me that as she and her family were going through my friend's things, a box was delivered -- those Justin Buckaroos. It was my friend's daughter who dropped the box off at my door. My friend had told her that he had ordered the boots for me.

His family had a short memorial service for him last night, and I was able to go. I'm glad that at least I was able to pay my last respects to a marvelously funny, witty, kind gentleman. I wore a suit -- and those Justin Buckaroos. They looked great with dark pants over them.

Every time my friend saw me, from the first time we met until the last time we visited, he always exclaimed, "Men Wear Boots!" His daughter told me that the family found this to be quite in character with the man they loved, and thanked me for the happiness I brought to his life. She had a pair of boots for him to have on when he was buried. So he was indeed, "buried with his boots on."

Every time I hear the phrase from now on, "Men Wear Boots," or wear those Justin Buckaroos, I will smile and think fondly of F. May my dear friend Rest in Peace (with his boots on).

P.S.: I hope our friends at Justin Brands, along with their marketing and PR/Advertising firms (Balcom and Nuvox), find this post like they found the first one. Nice product! (that is, Great Boots!)

Life is short: show those you love that you love them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. That was a touching & beautiful story. He was VERY fortunate to have a friend like you.

Lisa L said...

Some of us at Justin Brands did indeed read your story and we're very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. Your kindness and his generosity are inspiring. Thank you for the nice words about our boots. We think they're pretty great but we sure love hearing from a happy customer. Thanks again.