Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Why Not Mid-Atlantic Leather?

Grey Black LeatherIt is time for the annual rites of leather passage, the second-largest U.S. gathering of The Great Leather Clan, at the gay men's (and a few women) cowhide convention called "Mid Atlantic Leather" or for short, MAL. It is held in downtown Washington, DC, over the weekend of Martin Luther King's Birthday Holiday. This year, January 15 - 18.

One would think that with the interest and vast assortment of leather gear that I have, including some just for fetish wear, that I would be anxious to attend MAL. It is in my hometown and the weather forecast is decent. It would not require all the expense and hassles of flying anywhere. As financially frugal as I am, that's a good thing :-)

I would like to see some people I know and meet some men with whom I have communicated by email. I have received a few invitations by email to meet some fellow Boot Brothers for dinner one night during MAL or a meal on Monday morning before they leave for their respective homes.

Regretfully, my partner's disability has flared up severely. He is in a lot of pain and is immobile. His pain has grown worse over the last week, and he is in no shape to get around anywhere. I don't go to events like MAL without him, so if he can't go, I won't go. My primary job will be to take care of him until he is back on his feet and able to walk.

Further, the problem with an event in your own hometown is that your own life doesn't stop. I have a number of commitments over the weekend that are unavoidable. Plus, I have to admit, I hate trying to get around DC. It is hard to find a place to park, and now that they charge an arm, leg, and your first-born to park on the street, I don't want to deal with it. (Public transit is not an option because it is too far away from MAL event locations for my partner to be able to walk to.)

My partner and I have enjoyed "guy watching" at MAL in years past. Some of the behavior I have seen at these gatherings of the Cowhide Clan are amusing. Many guys follow each other like lemmings, flitting hither-and-yon to the fetishwear expo, the events, and other non-published get-togethers. Many are texting and calling each other on their mobile devices. (I probably wouldn't be allowed into MAL any more because I have no desire to carry a personal cell phone in a holster on my belt.)

One year, I took some focused-on-boots video of guys walking around the lobby of the host hotel, and received the most amusing rant from a closet queen demanding that I take the video off my YouTube channel. Sad but true, there are a lot of once-a-year leather dudes who go to MAL. But then again, it is a time of freedom to butch up in leather and be with other guys who share the same interest. I get it. I felt that way when I was younger, too. There is sort of a fantasy thrill to being decked out in leather from head to boot around all those guys in leather gear and sundry fetishwear.

Most guys are interesting to talk to, and have backgrounds and stories to which I have enjoyed listening. I could possibly visit the Hotboots party on Saturday afternoon (2-4pm, Green Lantern Bar), or afterwords sit out in the smokin' tent and have a good discussion. I have done that for many years, and it's been an enjoyable way to spend some time.

But... as I said above, I live with a man whom I love tremendously, and with whom I share a monogamous relationship, but who is having severe physical difficulties right now. My focus must be on him.

Life is short: have fun on the edge of leatherdom.

No comments: