Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Combining Passions

Yesterday was a day of service in the United States, where to honour the memory and ideals of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., we are encouraged to take time to serve others. Both my partner and I had the day off from work as a holiday.

The day began with the early arrival of our friendly Man in Brown (UPS delivery) where I received a pair of Berliner Riding Pants made by 665 Leather of West Hollywood, California.

I quickly changed into the riding pants and put on my 665-made grey leather shirt. They made a great combination and felt wonderful with tall Wesco patrol boots!

Side note: I have always said that when you're having leather gear custom made, to give the maker a call and discuss your interests. These riding pants are different from what is usually offered because I prefer a zip fly (instead of snaps), tighter closure at the leg opening (like breeches so I can wear them with tall boots over them), and a higher rise at the waist, so they will fit me better. If you want something made the way you will like it so you will wear it more, then by all means, call the maker and discuss options. Doing that will result in a product from which you will enjoy a lifetime of wear.

When we rose at 6am, I had prepared Cialda (waffles) for my partner and me. I cleaned up the breakfast dishes, then mounted my Harley and rode to a food bank where I volunteered for about six hours, helping them to sort out donations, clean up, and repair some broken shelving.

Turns out I was not the only guy who was wearing leather and boots while volunteering! A very nice guy was also wearing a pair of leather jeans and engineer boots (with a denim shirt.) He doesn't ride a motorcycle, but he once did. He gave me his card and asked me to get in touch, as he is seriously interested in buying a motorcycle and getting back on the road. He was quite an enjoyable helper/companion for the day's work.

It had warmed up to be a very pleasant day, with temperatures reaching 55°F (13°C) by mid-day when finished my shift and left. I rode for about 30 miles (48km) while enjoying the wonderful day. Ahhhh... boots, bike, and leather.

What a wonderful way to combine my passions of community service with riding my Harley fully geared.

Life is short: combine your passions!

No comments: