Friday, August 13, 2010

Not Another Poker Run

It seems that when a weekend day may free up on my schedule and I look for a motorcycle ride to join, it always seems as if there's a ride to a poker run.

What's that? You ride to a designated meeting place. You pay an entry fee, which is collected as a charitable donation to the event organizer's designated charity. You get a map of a route to follow. You ride the route, and as you go, you pick up playing cards. At the end of the route, you put together your best poker hand. Prizes are given to people with the highest-scoring hand.

Can you spell b-o-r-i-n-g? Sorry, I know there are a lot of people who like events like this. I don't. I never have. I don't play cards, anyway. But that's beside the point. The point is to ride along a route with your friends and help a neighboring club raise funds for its charity. I get it. But...

I really prefer shorter rides without some gimmick along the way. I need to offer to lead more such rides, which is why I offered to serve as a road captain anyway -- to offer these kinds of rides as a choice to our club's members. So rather that bitch about what other people are doing, I need to step up and assert some leadership.

News at 11...

[An American expression for "check back later for more information"]

Life is short: lead when you don't want to follow.

No comments: