Thursday, July 22, 2010

Friggin' Blister

Last Sunday I mowed the lawn. No big deal. But my formerly broken ankle was sore again, and hurt most where the top of my short work boots reached the ankle. So I decided to wear my Wesco Combat Boots which are a bit taller, and came above the former broken bone so when laced closed, the boots would provide more support.

As soon as I got out of my cast and could wear boots again, those were the boots I wore because the lacing made them adjustable, so they could accommodate the residual swelling. I even mowed the lawn in those boots back in April and May.

I never had a problem with those boots causing a blister. Not until this past Sunday. When I was done with the lawn, I went inside to take a cold shower to cool off as it was friggin' hot outside. When I took my boots off and peeled off my socks, I screamed in pain. My gosh, what a big friggin' ugly sore blister on the back of my right heel!

How in the hell did that happen? Probably the old socks I was wearing were the culprit. They had worn thin at the heel. Pushing the mower up our small hill is where I think the blister happened, as I was causing the boot to rub a lot against the skin of my heel. Damn, when I first felt a little tingle that is a sign of a blister, I should have stopped right away and taken care of it. But no.... I kept going and much to my dismay this damn blister happened.

I'll survive. But I tell 'ya, it's hard to find a pair of boots to wear that do not cause my heel to hurt like hell. I am now wearing a bandage, moleskin, and two pairs of socks over the blister. I take all that stuff off at night so air can get to it so it can heal. I am choosing boots that I don't wear as often because they were big on me. But with two pairs of socks and those layers over the blister, I need larger boots to accommodate the protection.

Meanwhile, I am walking with a distinctive limp ... again ... sigh. Oh well, as I said, I'll survive.

Life is short: blisters happen.


No comments: