Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Hot Weather Biker Boots

If there is a "more traditional" boot worn by bikers, it is the engineer style boot with one strap across the front, and a wide, round toe. I have a number of engineer boots in my collection that I often choose to wear while riding my Harley. They're comfortable, take abuse well and look, well, "biker-worn."

Last week, a new pair of engineer boots entered my stable. I found a good sale on a pair of Chippewa "Bomber Jacket" boots. These boots are brown, which is unusual for an engineer boot, and is one of the reasons why I bought them. Also, they are 11" high. All of my other engineer boots are 17" high. I usually prefer the taller boots; however, when the weather is toasty hot, then a shorter boot is better because it's cooler, yet still protects my ankles and legs.

The only thing surprising to me about these boots is that the top of the boot shaft was actually narrower than any other engineer boot that I own. I had to open the buckle at the top so I could put my foot into each boot, then re-buckle it to close. Frankly, I prefer just to pull my boots on and yank 'em off, so having to unbuckle and re-buckle them is a pain-in-the-ass feature that I don't like.

Also, while the boots came with an insole, the supplied insole was kinda cheap and soon became uncomfortable within the first hour that I wore these new boots. I replaced the manufacturer-provided insole with some good quality gel insoles, which made the boots feel much better.

The boots run a little large -- common for Chippewa engineer boots -- so there was plenty of room for a good quality gel insole. It took up the extra room anyway and made the overall fit better.

I like these boots. The appearance is different. The color of the leather is interesting. The leather itself is as soft and grainy as an old, well-worn bomber jacket -- thus the name.

Life is short: wear boots!

No comments: