Sunday, July 11, 2010

Post-Work Benefits

I went to a meeting yesterday morning, then checked in on my aunt, but as soon as I got home (about 11:30), my partner and I got busy on more projects. Work-work-work, but we were productive.

We ordered a new sofa for our family room a couple weeks ago. It will be delivered in another week or two. Meanwhile, the delivery service does not remove old furniture, and it was in such bad shape it wasn't suitable to donate to charity. (It was literally falling apart.) Being the frugal sort that we are, we didn't want to pay someone to pick up our old sleep sofa that the new one will replace. Instead, we dismantled it, and I used my power saw to break it down into smaller pieces so it would all fit into my truck so we could take it to the transfer station (most people call it "the dump," but in snoburbia where we live, we call it a "transfer station.")

Thank goodness I had the foresight to bring the sofa outside before cutting it apart. When I used the saw on it, the stuffing inside the seat and back started to come out. Small yellow clumps of sofa stuffing started blowing everywhere. We were able to contain most of it, but I sure am glad we didn't have the sofa disintegrate inside the house, or it sure would have been a mess to clean up.

We got the sofa taken completely apart and stuffed into the back of my truck, and off we went to the transfer station. It was amusing, and perhaps reminiscent of an old I Love Lucy episode, because some of the stuffing was flying out the windows of the truck as we were driving down the road.

Anyway, we got it unloaded fairly easily. We were sweating like crazy, so we decided to take a shower when we arrived home. We enjoyed our two-headed, two-man shower. Ahhh...

Life is short: enjoy the benefits of your labor.

No comments: