Monday, July 5, 2010

Oh Officer?

Ooops... it finally happened. I had someone confuse me with a motor officer. Here's the story...

Last Friday, I rode my Harley while going about errands and grocery shopping for my aunt. I also wanted to break in a new pair of lug-soled Dehner patrol boots. It was comfortably warm, so leather breeches would be too hot to wear. I chose a pair of cloth breeches instead. I wore a t-shirt and a vest on top. Nothing I was wearing had insignia of any law enforcement agency on it. However, I do realize that striped breeches inside motorboots gives a message that others may misinterpret.

While in the grocery store, I was moving rather quickly up and down the aisles to get the various items that my aunt needed. After gathering all the items, I went to the self-checkout register and began using it.

A woman came up to me, and said, "gee, you're fast. I saw you and kept trying to reach you, but you moved to fast to catch up with. Officer, I have a question...." then she prattled on about something regarding what the police do with mentally disturbed people. I swear, she didn't even pause to take a breath.

I finally had a chance to get a word in edgewise, and said, "Ma'am, I'm not a police officer, but I understand the breeches and boots might have confused you."

She stopped, then looked me up and down and said, "well, I thought you were, because my brother is a motor officer and wears a uniform like that."

I really didn't want to get into a prolonged discussion, so I just said, "well, again, I'm sorry for any confusion. These are indeed police motor breeches and boots, but you see, I am not wearing any insignia and I'm not a cop. I ride a motorcycle almost every day, and find this clothing to be comfortable and practical, which is why cops wear it. It just works for me, that's all. Again, sorry to cause confusion."

She replied with, "well, you even had your sunglasses propped up on your head like cops do, your hair is cut like theirs, and you walk the same way they do, so no wonder I thought you were a cop." Then, believe it or not, she kinda bopped me on the shoulder and said, "I wish you were a cop. You have a nice smile, and you're making time for this old lady to ask you a dumb question." With that, she spun on her heel and walked away. ... left me with my jaw dropped and wondering what just happened.

The customer in the lane next to me said, "hey, man, those are nice boots. They look good with those ... what'd you call 'em? Breeches?"

Hmmm... he was a very nice looking guy.

I finished checking out as he did, and he walked with me to the parking lot. He admired my Harley and asked a bunch of questions about the bike and the boots. [Hey, Stompers, I think I sent another customer your way! LOL!]

I mounted up and rode off with a smile on my face, yet with some bewilderment, too, regarding the incident that started the whole series of events.

Life is short: wear what you like, but don't intentionally misrepresent. If someone makes an assumption, clarify!

No comments: