Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Independence Day!

Today is Independence Day in the United States, marking our nation's 234th birthday. Happy birthday, America! Here's a recent photo that serves this day well (that's me on my bike in the background).

This morning, I will accompany two friends to be sworn in as our nation's newest citizens. I coached them as they studied for their citizenship test. These friends have worked hard and have been very patient -- one for ten years, one for twelve -- to earn the privilege of becoming a U.S. citizen. Their ceremony will be held at Ft. McHenry, which is in Baltimore. Nothing is more special than to have such a ceremony than at the location that served as the inspiration for Frances Scott Key to write the poem that became the lyrics to our national anthem, the Star Spangled Banner.

Unfortunately, after the morning celebration is over, I have to rush right back home and get to work on that long-list of honey-do projects around the house. The Warden requires it. So no crab feast at my brother's this year. I'll miss it, but I'm doing what I have to do.

Life is short: celebrate the birthday of the United States!

No comments: