Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Intoxicating Smell of New Leather

Okay, I admit it: on those occasions when I have visited a store that specializes in selling leather gear, such as jeans, chaps, breeches, shirts, and such, I find the smell intoxicating. Same is true the very first time I open a box in which new leathers arrive -- the aroma is quite something.

Some leatherdudes take it up another notch, and describe a certain reaction that they get below the belt line. I'm not that way. I'm not saying that reacting to the smell of new leather with a rise below the waist is bad. I'm just saying that the smell alone doesn't cause me to have such a biological reaction. Perhaps it once did, years ago, but now that I'm in my 50s, I ... (digress....)

The look, the feel, and the smell altogether takes a leatherman to a different dimension, at least momentarily.

...then you try on your new leathers, look at yourself in the mirror, and take it all in. How they feel, how they look, how the leather creaks as it breaks in new creases, and how it smells. Yeah, quite the feeling as the senses of touch, sight, hearing, and smell all come together.

I didn't mention taste, 'cause I really am not into that. There are all sorts of chemicals with which leather is treated during the tanning and finishing processes to make it shiny and soft, and those chemicals aren't something I want to ingest. So I don't.

But four senses out of five are great to have working for you when you're experiencing new leathers. Come back tomorrow and find out what I got!

Life is short: wear leather!

No comments: