Saturday, July 10, 2010

Weight-Loss Benefit of DIY

"DIY" means "do it yourself." I'm that kind of guy. I do a lot of construction and repair work myself. I'm pretty handy at carpentry and electrical trades, and haven't (yet) caused a flood from plumbing work.

Lately, I have been diligently knocking off items on my partner's famous "honey-do list." What's that? "Honey, since you're off work, do this, do that...." That's the list to which I referred in yesterday's post.

I have repaired one of our decks, by removing old, rotted boards and replacing them with a wood composite product. Each new board has to be precisely cut to fit its location. Lots of bending, lifting, sawing, screwing, etc.

I replaced a roof over a porch on one of my rental properties. I installed new windows on the first floor of another rental house. I repaired some leaky plumbing in yet another.

All-in-all, when I am not spending time with my aunt, I am working. Despite the heat. Despite the physical discomfort.

The side benefit of all this work is that in the last six weeks, I have lost 22 pounds -- without even trying. This exercise helps a lot. Plus, I continue taking hour+ walks every morning, and swimming 50 - 75 laps on both Saturday and Sunday mornings. That, and I am in better control of what I eat, as far as foods that put on pounds. And with all the heat, I am drinking A LOT of water, so the weight-loss isn't all water-weight. In fact, if I were not so "well hydrated," I probably would weigh even less.

My jeans are riding much lower on my waist. My boots don't feel as tight on my legs. My jowls don't appear as pudgy. Though my mid-section needs to loose more, at least what I am losing seems to be evenly distributed, and not from the areas that don't count (face and legs.)

I do not tolerate lectures about "healthy eating, diet, and exercise." I know all that. What's "healthy eating" to many is not so healthy for me, due to a chronic condition that I have. I can't eat most vegetables or fruits, so what's left makes it harder to choose foods that also aren't loaded with calories. But I'm trying... and that's the best I can say.

Life is short: when tired and sore from doing repair work, try to remember the "side benefits" of DIY.

No comments: